Headshots - Frequently Asked Questions and Terms & Conditions
Please read before your session, thank you.
- What should I wear?
Bring a range of different tops with varied neck lines that you think are suitable for you and the potential characters/age groups that you would also like to portray. Bring a range of black/grey/denim but also try experimenting with colours to bring out your eyes and compliment the colour of your hair. White tops can be quite overpowering on camera and can wash you out if you have pale skin but don't rule it out completely if there's a top that you love! Bring everything and we can decide. Think about different jackets (leather/denim etc) that can look quite good as well and definitely have something that shows off your collarbones. Ladies - be sure to wear a strapless tan bra if you have one to make changes simple and to avoid any unwanted lines. If you don't own one have a think about another bra/under top that will hide well with your looks. We can go through the different choices when you arrive to your session and I can help choose the best looks for you. We can usually fit in around 5-7 top changes in a three hour session and 3-4 in a 90 min session. Also, don't forget to iron out any creases! :)
- What shall I do about hair & make-up (and eyebrows)?
Keep make-up as minimal as possible. Try to avoid lipstick and thick liquid eye-liner as it can make your eyes appear smaller. If you have any spots just cover them up with concealer and I will edit them out after. Try to avoid caking on foundation. It's best to turn up with a little make-up on first that you can add to. I can advise whether you need more mascara, etc. Bring all of your daily make-up with you so you can do this. Guys can do this too if they wish! Keep eyebrows well groomed. If you have one, an eyebrow brush is an amazing tool to use and bring with you. After washing your face in the morning let your eyebrows dry in the shape you desire and this will help them keep in place for the day. I can photoshop any strays so don't worry about applying gel or hairspray to your eyebrows. As for hair, again you want to go natural but keep it similar to how you would wear it to an audition. Don't forget to bring a hair brush and any products you might need. Guys are welcome to shave mid session in the bathrooms at the local pub.
- How should I prepare in the time running up to the shoot?
For the week running up to the shoot make sure you are getting the right amount of sleep and don't drink heavily! Especially don't turn up hungover. You won't be pleased with how you look on camera. It has happened. Keep eyebrows well groomed and don't have any face treatments too close to the day. Avoid fake tan and if you are getting a hair cut, have it done the week before rather than the week of the shoot so it has time to settle. If you have any facial piercings please take them out for your session unless you would prefer to keep them in. Keep your face moisturised running up to the shoot and use a clear lip balm every day and on the day to avoid dry lips. Bring your lip balm with you! :)
- What is your availability like?
As a performer myself I am only slightly limited in the week for bookings depending on auditions or jobs. I am available for sessions on weekends too so just contact me to find out when we can book a session together.
- What happens if it rains?
The location is set outdoors but it is sheltered from the rain. It might get windy at times so bring a bottle of hairspray and a hair brush or comb just in case. If heavy rain and wind is forecast then we may have to reschedule.
- Prices & Payment?
A deposit of £30.00 is required at the time of booking to secure the shoot and the balance can be paid on the day.
- If you decide to re-schedule your booking for another date or time, your deposit will be held and transferred to the new date. (Up to 1 weeks notice required or the deposit will be lost if the slot isn't filled in time.)
- If you decide to cancel your booking less than 21 days before your session and the time slot is not filled with a new booking then you will lose your deposit.
- If I decide to reschedule your booking to anything 2 months later than your original date then you are entitled to 50% of your deposit back. The balance can then be paid as normal on the day of your new session.
- If I decide to cancel your session for any reason then your deposit will be returned in full. This will only be likely if I were to receive a contract that would take me away from the area for a vast amount of time.
- Student Discount? Student discount may only apply if you are either under 18 or have a full time valid ID card for recognised Drama School or University. Please present your ID on the day of your session and be sure to mention it at the time of booking.
- Where are you based?
My main location is in Guildford, Surrey which is only a 30 minute fast train from London Waterloo. Here we can work with lot's of different backgrounds and lighting styles. I also have an alternate location in Old Basing, Hampshire near Barton's Mill Pub if it is more convenient. However, the Guildford location allows for more flexibility in image style. I currently live in Hartley Wintney, Hampshire and can travel anywhere if you wish to have a home session for your young performer where I can bring extra equipment to set up in your home or garden.
- What happens after the shoot?
Once the shoot is over I will eliminate any shots of closed eyes etc and upload all of the good proofs to an online gallery which is password protected. There you will be able to view all of the unedited images and download the low-res files if you need to. The images are numbered and you can email me back with your image choices.
- What is your turn around time?
Depending on how busy I am at the time it can take anywhere from 2 days up to 2 weeks for me to edit your headshots and email them back to you. If you need them urgently there is an optional rush edit fee of £15 per headshot to speed up editing time to 48 hours.
- How much editing do you do?
I take a lot of care in the editing process from the perfect crop right to the tiniest blemish in your skin. Spots will be banished completely along with stray hairs, dry patches of skin, and much more. Your eyes will pop and you will be pleased with the outcome. If there is anything extra you'd like me to do just let me know and I can do it, (unless of course its changing the colour of your eyes or something like that - keep it natural haha!)
- Can I edit my own headshots? As I pride myself on my branding and know exactly how a headshot should look then I do not allow any further editing on headshots once delivered to the client. I would also recommend to refrain from sharing any unedited headshots in a professional context until you have received your final re-touched images.
- You haven't answered my question...
If there's anything else you'd like to know just drop me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org